Back pain is one of the most common causes of lost work time and productivity, not to mention being a blight on many people’s lives. The team at Appalachian Chiropractic, is expert in diagnosing the cause of your pain and treating it appropriately. Find the solution to your back pain, whatever its cause, by calling the clinic today or using the online booking form to make an appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most frequent questions and answers
What causes back pain?
There are many reasons why people experience back pain. Most acute attacks of back pain are caused by ligament strains or muscle sprains, giving rise to an immediate flare of pain when you’re in the middle of performing some physical activity or making your back ache and twinge at the end of a long day. Typical causes of acute injuries include:
- Poor posture
- Lifting heavy objects
- Lifting without using safe techniques
- Doing more than you’re physically capable of
- Repeating certain movements over and over again
- Making sudden, awkward movements
These are all risks you can avoid by adopting good posture and safe manual handling techniques, combined with regular exercise that strengthens muscles and connective tissues.
Back pain may also be caused by:
- Injury from falling or tripping
- Road traffic accidents
- Ruptured or bulging disks
- Scoliosis (curved spine)
- Osteoporosis (brittle bones)
- Nerve damage or neuropathic pain
Degenerative conditions such as osteoarthritis and scoliosis can cause chronic back pain, but the Appalachian Chiropractic team has the skills and experience to relieve the effects of back pain no matter what the cause.
What is the treatment for back pain?
You can ease the discomfort of mild back pain by:
- Resting your back but avoiding prolonged bed rest
- Avoiding the activity that caused the problem
- Practicing some gentle exercises
- Applying heat packs to the seat of the pain
Gentle movement is better than immobilizing yourself, but be careful not to overdo things and make the pain worse. If there’s no improvement after a few days, make an appointment to see the Appalachian Chiropractic team for an assessment.
There are a number of possible treatments available for back pain, depending on the cause of the pain and its severity:
- Physical medicine
- Electrical stimulation
- Heat and ice
- Magnetic therapy
- Massage therapy
- Rehabilitation exercises
How do I stop back pain from recurring?
During your treatment program, your Appalachian Chiropractic practitioner gives you detailed information regarding ways you can strengthen your body and avoid injuring yourself again. Their recommendations include actions such as:
- Taking regular exercise such as swimming
- Practicing core-strengthening exercises
- Building strength and flexibility with yoga or Pilates
- Dieting and healthy living if you’re overweight
- Improving your posture
- Using a correctly adjusted ergonomic office chair
- Getting up and moving around regularly if you normally spend your day seated
- Avoiding heavy lifting tasks
- Practicing safe lifting techniques when carrying
- Avoiding standing still for too long